There are many rights and wrongs of being on the web. Most of the rights are there to protect users from the scurrilous types who prey on unsuspecting surfers. I thought I was somewhat savvy in the ways of Internet sculduggery but no, I was caught, like many a hapless soul before me.
I recently found my way to a site that offered on-line memorials of loved ones for life. I was hooked more by guilt than anything else (but more of that later) but I decided to enroll and place a memorial to my mum, Hilda, on the web-for ever.
I'm usually cautious about sign ups especially where the threat of money to pay hangs over the occasion. Still there was no sign of a fee anywhere-until I had completed . Then they informed me that to have my memorial launched and hosted I would need to pay a donation of 99 pounds!
Heartbroken! I was pissed! I wasn't going to pay for something that might disappear in the blink of an eye, and the drop of a tear. No sirree. However, it did give me a thought of where I could host a memorial for all the world to see, should they be so inclined...a blog.
No one else may ever read these notes on the life and times of my mother but they'll be here, and as long as the Internet exists and this blog service is in action her memory will live on.
I write this story of my mother knowing very well that she would give me grief for writing it. But this work is to celebrate her life but also to perhaps free me from the sadness of still missing her.
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Chapter 1 -- In Memorium
Labels:
frank arnold,
hilda arnold,
loved one,
memorial,
mount pleasant,
mum,
north hill road,
poppet hill,
swansea,
welsh
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment